It is all about usability! Usability of GUIs you see every minute you spend at your PC: applications usability reviews, websites usability reviews, Flash usability. Tips and tricks, my comments and suggestions. Lets make this world usable together ;)

Friday, September 15, 2006

Usability of AJAX Drag and Drop Technique

Do you know what is "AJAX Drag and Drop"? Or what sites use "AJAX Drag and Drop" technique? I agree, it is hard to remember (in fact I am 100% sure you can't answer right now). But if I tell you www.google.com/ig uses AJAX Drag & Drop you will be surprised. All know what it is but some know how it is called. The same is for Google. A lot of developers used AJAX D'n'D before Google but only Google made "piece of art" and started global paranoia about this. Microsoft made it is own version of the same thing: www.start.com/3/. Looks similar? Yes! But try to move blocks, then try to move blocks on Google's page. Do you see the difference? And it is huge! I can't say that Microsoft made something ugly and unusable. Of course not. When I tried to move blocks first, I was confused of the thing that I have the block dragged under the pointer of my mouse and at the same time it is appeared on that place where I am going to put it. So I had the clear feeling that I place the block on the another text that was not moved and I don't know what will happen when I release the mouse button. That is really, really bad. Another issue: how to drag? MS made a very light background under block titles, so it is hard to find the place you may drag. You are always afraid of accidental click on block title and getting away from that page :) This made you nervous and strained. Stop! The Web 2.0 must make you happy and relaxed! Resume is very simple: AJAX D'n'd is a good and very usable technology. Google proved that. But be very careful implementing it in order not to make Microsoft errors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home